Visitor Center in RMNP
Riding Mountain National Park rises magestically from the surrounding prairie landscape. This 3000 square kilometre park is situated along a vast ridge of land known as the Manitoba Escarpment. The eastern and northern edges of the park boast spectacular views of the prairie landscape below. This park supports a wide array of biodiveristy, and includes boreal (northern) forest, eastern deciduous forest, vast meadows of rough fescue grasslands, extensive marshes and river-bottom wetlands. The wild areas of RMNP are inhabited by mammals such as wolves, moose, elk, black bear; hundreds of bird species; fish, amphibians and reptiles; and countless insect species. A captive bison herd is also maintained within the park’s border.
RMNP was officially opened in 1933, and is rich in historical and cultural heritage. The Visitor Centre in Wasagaming is located in the beautiful Federal Heritage Building. The Riding Mountain Park East Gate Registration Complex National Historic Site of Canada is an important example of the Rustic Design tradition of building in National Parks in the 1930s. There is much to learn of the history of RMNP including aboriginal use of the area, Prisoners of War, Grey Owl and more!
Things to Do
- Martese Boat Cruise – Take a tour of Clear Lake in the Martese. A tour schedule is available on the website and includes lunch and dinner cruises [TheClearLakeMarina.com]
- Old English Tudor Heritage Buildings such as the Park Theatre
- Visitor Centre – gift shop, theatre, resource library and the Discovery Room. Sign up for Park interpretive tours and outdoor adventures.
- Visit the Centre for maps, brochures, animal and bird sighting lists, National Park passes and fishing licenses.
- Golfing at the Clear Lake Golf Course – [ClearLakeGolfCourse.com]
- Swimming, boating and paddle boat rentals
- Stroll through the English Gardens surrounding the Park buildings in Wasagaming
- Wishing Well
- Hiking and Mountain Biking trails in RMNP
- Cross country skiing and snowshoeing in RMNP
- Keeseekoowenin Ojibway First Nation Interpretive Centre – [more information]
- Horseback Riding at Trailhead Ranch – Call (204) 848-7649 ext. 512 for information on scheduled trail rides, hayrides and sleigh rides.
- Outdoor Flea Market – held every summer weekend at Sportsman’s Park. Homemade baking, preserves, art and crafts, and more!
- Clothing stores and boutiques for shopping in Wasagaming
- T.R. McKoys
- Mountain Grill at the Elkhorn Resort
- Siesta Cafe
- Whitehouse Bakery and Restaurant
- Joe Beeverz
- Barnaby’s Grill
- Foxtail Cafe
- Canoe Taphouse
- Poor Michael’s Bookstore in Onanole – Come here for the best coffee and a wide range of art and books. [PoorMichaelsBooks.ca]
…many more dining experiences are available in Wasagaming!
For More Information
- Riding Mountain National Park website – [RMNP]
- Discover Clear Lake website – [DiscoverClearLake.com]
- Clear Lake Country website – [ClearLakeCountry.com]
- Riding Mountain Biosphere Reserve website – [RMBR]
- Friends of Riding Mountain National Park website – [Friends of RMNP]